[cisco-voip] Texting to a PRI number?

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Wed Aug 29 17:40:23 EDT 2012

This definitely does raise a good question. There are some interesting smarts built into cell phones nowadays. For example, if I dial my provider's balance checking number, say *123, I get a voice message recording telling my my balance. But if I dial *123#, I get a text based popup on my screen. It's not a text message, cause it doesn't appear in my texting app, it appears in the phone dialer app. So the dialer app must be able to recognize some sort of other text based messaging on the phone.

Now, PRIs are not that far off really. Many have implemented FAX'ing solutions where you can intercept the fax and send it somewhere else. Not sure if it can work with the same number, but I'm thinking it will.

Imagine this if you will in IOS v17, where you can text to a PRI's number and internally, re-route those text messages to an SMPP enabled device or provider.

Or you can just buy a 5 digit short code , say 55311 and ask them to use that. Probably happen sooner. ;)

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (ANNU)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)