[cisco-voip] IP phone DHCP question or two

Mike King me at mpking.com
Wed Feb 1 17:56:36 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Mike King <me at mpking.com> wrote:

> Downside is that you have to wait the minimum of half your DHCP lease (or
> the entire DHCP lease if your paranoid) before you can make your change.

Just to expand on this.  You wait half the time, because clients are
supposed to renew halfway thru they're lease, and at that point, they will
get the new lease length of 2 minutes.

Benefits of this, is clients ASK for they're old address, so
IP conflicts should be kept to a minimum.

Obviously test in a lab before hand, because not everyone plays nice with
the DHCP spec.

(Windows 98 machines had a *Feature* that if they could ping the default
gateway, they would hold the address till the lease ran out if no DHCP
server answered.  And I've seen cases where they just hold on to the
address anyways.)