[cisco-voip] On-Call Solution/Best Practices for CUCM/Unity Environment

Kim, Hyoun hkim at ohl.com
Mon Feb 13 13:15:00 EST 2012

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I posted. I was originally posting from Charter Communications but moved to another job that has a fully fledged CUCM/CCX/Unity environment.

Does anyone have a solution for departments using an "On-Call" rotation?  I kind of inherited the existing infrastructure at my new company and the prior voice engineers both left.

Right now the way the previous engineers set it up is via Unity, which is monitoring an Exchange mailbox for any unread messages.  We have other hardware management software that will shoot alerts to this mailbox.  Then Unity is using its notification options to call specific numbers to notify them that they have unread messages in this mailbox.  This is how various departments who have 24/7 on-call rotations are being notified that there are issues that need to be investigated.

While it does work, it requires the person on-call to have Internet access to mark those emails as "read" to force Unity to stop calling.  To me that seems to be a backwards way of using the current environment for departments using a 24/7 on-call rotation, but given my past experiences, I don't know of a "better" way to do this with existing hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Hyoun Kim
Network Engineer
Network Infrastructure
OHL

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary, privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.