[cisco-voip] Cheap CME platform?

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Wed Feb 15 00:51:05 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:35:44PM -0500, chris wrote:
> I was looking at the requirements and cisco says you can do cme 4.1 on my
> 2621xm with 48mb flash and 128mb dram. my router doesnt have the upgraded
> bootrom chip right now, but i have 128mb and  32mb flash.
>
> I wonder if I can make up for the slightly smaller flash by putting enough
> of the stuff on tftp instead of flash. I'm going to give it a try.

Probably, since the IOS image itself is only ~26MB. It might have the room
you need.

> Do I need the upgraded bootrom to go from 32mb flash to 48?

No, that only affects the DRAM.

> Any recommendations on the bootrom upgrade and where to get it and if i
> should do it myself or have someone do it? It looks easy but i dont have
> any plcc tools to pull the chip

http://www.memoryx.net/boot2600xm256.html

Seems a bit pricey, but its not like there is a large market for it.

You can use some bent paper clips to get the chip out. I'd recommend
not prying it with a screwdriver, that can crack the socket.