[cisco-voip] Strange MGCP Gateway Registration Issue

Bob Zanett (AM) bob.zanett at dimensiondata.com
Tue Feb 21 09:46:53 EST 2012

Usually it is something very basic as to why they will not register.

1.       Validate that CUCM and gateway can see each other over IP.  Use a loopback address, if at all possible to tie your MGCP control and media to.  (Note:  if you use a loopback, you will have to use an extended ping to validate IP connectivity)

a.       I have also seen where the MGCP gateway can see some of the CUCM servers but not others (split across the WAN scenarios).

b.      Or the arp table on CUCM server has filled up - I had a customer who had deployed CUCM on the same LAN as the phones (not recommended at all) and they filled up the table.  They could then not get anything new to register, unless it came across the WAN (using an existing address from a L3 device).

2.       Validate you have the MGCP configured correctly on CUCM - modules assigned to the correct slots, etc.

3.       Name - spelling - always used to burn me.

4.       Depending on how you are initially setting up the trunk:  CUCM configuration controlled or manual can impact getting it started.

a.        If you are doing it manual, then I have seen having to reset CUCM MGCP gateway and reset MGCP on the router (sometimes even rebooting the router).   I have also had to rebuild the CUCM configuration and/or router.

b.       If CUCM is pushing the configuration try resetting on CUCM admin and/or rebooting the router.  If you are trying to configure manually but have it set up so that CUCM can control the configuration - you will have issues.

Just some basic thoughts to help maybe remind you of something you may have overlooked -

Bob Zanett
Technical Services Architect