[cisco-voip] SIP phone jitter, how do I find the culprit?

Jason Dance jason.dance at greenwich.com
Sun Feb 26 13:37:50 EST 2012

Hello all!

I am trying to work through a rather puzzling SIP issue on my CUCM 8.6
system at the moment.  We have 10 non cisco SIP phones connected to our
Call Manager, and we are experiencing a bit of jitter on certain
inbound/outbound external calls (there doesn't sem to be a clear pattern
though) and the audio on one side will sound robotic (we call it
autotuning).

We use 2 x Cisco 2811 routers, one hosting a SIP trunk to our Telco
(runs CUBE, and has DSPs for codec translation), and the other is for a
ISDN PRI trunk (also have enough DSPs to cover the channels).  Calls
that hit the PRI trunk seem to do ok, so I think this is narrowed to a
SIP phone => CUCM => SIP trunk issue.  We use G.722/711 within the
region/device pool assigned to the phones and CUCM, and we also use
G.722/711 between the phones/CUCM and the region/device pool the CUBE is
assigned to.

For our switching infrastructure, we use 3750s for access layer with
fiber uplinks to our 6509 distribution/core switch.  The 2811s are
connected to the 6509.  Both sets of switches have QOS enabled, but I
profess that I do not understand it at all well enough to mentally
picture how it would affect traffic flows on this issue.

With the above in mind, I'd appreciate any suggestions on:

1.) Some good methods I could use to track down where the jitter delay
is being introduced.

2.) What path could I expect the SIP traffic to take? (I think the SIP
legs go like: SIP phone <=> CUCM <=> CUBE <=> SIP provider, but I am not
sure).

Thanks in advance,

Jason

The information contained within this message and any attachment is

intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is

addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential

and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received

this communication in error, kindly notify the sender by reply email and

delete the original message and any copies immediately.  Statements or

opinions in this message not related to the official business of

Greenwich Associates are those of the author and are not necessarily

agreed or endorsed by the firm.  Greenwich Associates may monitor

emails sent or received for operational or business reasons as permitted

by law. No representation is made that this message or its attachments

are without defect.