[cisco-voip] CUCM - separating management traffic

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jan 19 09:46:24 EST 2012

Separating out user ports and admin ports is something of common practice out there for applications that have web interfaces. It's another level of security which doesn't cost too much to implement (another web daemon). Why Cisco has chosen to not only put the admin interface on the same port as the user interface is beyond me and why they chose to put a link to the admin interface on the default web page of the web server is even more so.

Not all environments are 'friendly'. It's common simple hacking techniques to go to a URL and start going "up" the chain to see what you get. In two steps you get to the admin interface. With the right password cracking tools I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to break into half of the telephone admin pages out there.

On that note, we have chosen to implement a reverse proxy which allows access to user pages but blocks access to any admin pages. It certainly let's me sleep better at night.

Of course, not everyone has worked in an environment such as an EDU where historically there is little to no control over workstations and what software is installed on them.

Anyways, my two cents.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (ANNU)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)