[cisco-voip] CUCM 8.6 hardware

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Thu Jan 19 13:10:00 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 06:00:40PM +0000, Matthew Loraditch wrote:
> Having been involved in some dell vs hp competitive stuff in the past, I  have heard that because of the way dell's supply chain works, that stuff even listed as the same model etc may end up with slightly different components internally.
>
> Not sure how true that is or if it applied to servers, but I could see where that would be an issue for Cisco.

Having deployed 1,000's of Dell servers over the years, I've never run
into any component mismatch issues. That is something very large for
us, and we watch for it all the time.  If I order 25 of the same, I
get 25 of the same. If I order the same exact config'd model a year
later, I get the same components as the first batch.

Maybe it is because Dell tends to develop new generations of hardware
faster and drops the old generation as soon as the new one is out,
where with HP, they tend to be slower doing new generations of
hardware, and I believe you can buy some older gens even after the new
generation is out..

Overall, the big vendors are all about the same (HP, Dell, IBM).
Biggest difference is dealing with the sales critters for each.