[cisco-voip] Cisco IP Communicator and QoS

gr11 grccie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 09:09:11 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I am testing QoS for CIPC and in general planning to deploy in a big
enviornment.

I have few questions.

1) First one is on QoS

The enviornment is already QoS enabled and will classify the voice and
signalling traffic at router level. However at Catalyst switches auto qos
is enable for cisco phones (desk). Whats the best approach for QoS at
switch level.
There are two auto qos options one for cisco-phones and other for
softphones but we already have the one for cisco-phones enabled. So to
configure the port facing PC+Desk Phone + Soft phone, I was looking at SRND
and testing untrsuted  PC + soft phone + scavenger model. Is this the right
approach?

Also according to the SRND the Voice class is policed at 128K - is this
right? I know this is per port but policing at 128K is this right approach?

pmap)#class SOFTPHONE-VOICE

CAT2970(config-pmap-c)#

*set ip dscp 46 *! Softphone VoIP is marked to DSCP EF

CAT2970(config-pmap-c)#

*police 128000 8000 exceed-action policed-dscp-transmit*
**

2) Running soft phones on Wireless - things we need to take care of?

3) Any other general recommendations or things to be aware of while rolling
out softphones in a big enviornment.
Bandwidth used will depend on codec used and will be in line with the BW
usage by normal phones i believe as per config in CUCM.
Licenses i am thinking of using adjunct option by configuring primary
extension as desk phone (so that it uses one DLU).
Data vlan will have tftp option for soft phones in dhcp.

Thanks.