[cisco-voip] CUCM hostname case-only change?

Beck, Andre cisco-voip at ibh.net
Fri Jul 6 05:54:33 EDT 2012

Hi,

when upgrading a CUCM cluster all the way from 6.1.2 to 8.6.latest, I
found the original cluster members named as CCM1 and CCM2, yes, with
all caps in the names. Given hostnames are considered to be case
insensitive and all-caps hostnames are a pot-ugly Windows meme that
tends to infect Unix platforms, I tried whether changing them to lower
case would be feasible. The change was performed by DRF backup (on 8.6.2a),
fresh installation of a new 8.6.2a cluster named ccm1 and ccm2, followed
by DRF restore. The actual naming in the CUCM configuration is completely
name-agnostic and uses IP addresses only (and the platforms have no DNS
resolver configured either). Initially, nothing broke.

Later I recognized a number of certificates were now "doubled", the "old
ones" for CCM1/2 still existed and new ones for ccm1/2 had appeared in
addition. So my next step was to remove all the all-caps certificates.
Even after that, nothing seemed broke regarding call handling.

Then I recognized DRF was dead. Essentially, the DRF Local process would
not come up and always log certificate issues. Trying to configure anything
in DRF would just freeze/time out, not presenting the expected pages.

To make the long story short, I would like to ask: How bad of an idea
was the name fix (it isn't really a name change, given they are semantically
equivalent, but not every component seems to think the same way)? Is there
a way to correct that? Or should I consider keeping the original names
even down to the specific casing mandatory for a supported upgrade?

As all this was just a test for the actual upgrade path, I still have a
chance to return to the all-caps names. The only issue will be licensing,
as (of course, who would have thought otherwise) the License MAC creation
algorithm is one of the components that deals with host names in a case
sensitive way. Let's see how often I can rehost that licenses again...

Thoughts on this? Warnings? Outright declarations of me being stupid
wasting time on a cosmetic issue?

TIA,
Andre.
--
                    Cool .signatures are so 90s...

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++      IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-