[cisco-voip] software MTP's

Roger Wiklund roger.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 15:32:44 EDT 2012

Sorry, EO is early offer.

Most ITSPs require you to send the codec information in the first
invite (early offer), that way they control the supported codecs.
With delayed offer no codec information is sent in the first invite,
instead the ITSP send you the codec information in the session
progress(I think), and thus you control the supported codecs.

By default delayed offer is configured in the CUCM. Best practice is
to use the CUBE to send EO to the ITSP. CUCM-DO->CUBE-EO->ITSP.
That way you need no MTP at all.

If you are forced to run Early Offer on the Callmanager itself, older
versions required an MTP. However, starting with 8.5 you can actually
send Early Offer directly from the Callmanager without invoking an MTP
if the SCCP/SIP endpoints are new enough.

I wrote a note about this on my blog. (Ignore the flow-around stuff)

http://wiklunds.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/sip-delayed-offer-to-early-offer-with-rtp-flow-around-support-in-cube-8-6/

Hope that helps.

/Roger