[cisco-voip] Upgrade Methods

Casper, Steven SCASPER at mtb.com
Mon Mar 5 10:18:56 EST 2012

If at all possible I suggest running the upgrade in a lab environment first. This gives you an opportunity to make sure  you are familiar with the process and observe the upgrade behavior. Every major release upgrade seems to vary somewhat and this  seems particularly important in this case after reading all of the SBD/ITL issues out there. The lab also gives you a chance to test new features and make sure the upgrade does not create problems for features that you already use that are critical for your business. In the past few years we have identified several issues in the lab that would have had a serious impact on next day operations if we had upgraded with these bugs active.

Within reason we try to duplicate our lab environment to match production including adjunct systems such as SIP Trunk, QSIG, call recording and Informacast. I understand the hassle and expense of standing up a  lab system like this but if you are running an enterprise UC environment with thousands of devices it is worth the effort and expense.

Steve