[cisco-voip] 79xx vs. 99xx

Frank Arrasmith frank.arrasmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:09:53 EST 2012

Hey all,
  just want to poll the room regarding IP Phones they are using.   We
recently deployed a large # of 9951/9971 phones, and encountered some
pretty serious bugs(that dont have a fix/workaround yet).  Anybody else
deploying these?  Are you having bugs in the Call Manager version you are
running?  Other than the integrated video, what benefits do you see in
them?. I have to say, after working on the 7900 series(sccp) for some time,
with fairly rock solid performance, I am certainly not impressed with the
99xx phones.  I think they are particularly hard to use(compared to the
7900 phones) for someone with Cisco experience, and practically impossible
for the average Joe. Maybe I am missing the big picture.  Has anyone seen
exceptional benefits from using them? The decision to deploy these was
above my head , and supposedly in part to the 7965's going end of life.  Is
that true, or did we get suckered by our VAR(i couldnt find an EOL notice).