[cisco-voip] Testing a new PRI for echo before deploying it...

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Thu Mar 15 11:37:52 EDT 2012

Hi everyone -

I have a quandary..

I've got several PRIs here at my workplace, and they are used for
inbound/outbound calling, and one PRI is used for just inbound calls to
a call center.

I've added a new PRI in a trunk group (from AT&T) with that PRI for the
customer call center.

We have outboard echo cancellers in line between AT&T and the routers on
our existing four PRIs, however, I don't have an echo canceller for this
new PRI

*yet*

I've heard it said that we had these echo cancellers installed (before I
was here) because the original routers/IOS versions didn't support
sufficient echo cancelling, so outboard cancellers were needed, and that
the current hardware/IOS may support enough echo cancellation onboard to
solve any problems.

I'd like to do two things:

1.       Verify that I actually -can- do echo cancellation with  this
hardware/IOS and how many ms of echo cancellation it can do.

2.       I'd also like to put this PRI in test mode some way so that it
is available for making selected calls (like set it up so that all my
calls go through it), and run it for a few days to ensure that I've got
the echo cancellation configured right, or know that I have to buy an
external echo canceller.

What advice do you folks have for these two questions?

This is a sh ver from that router. It has two other PRIs in it, which do
go through the external echo canceller.

System image file is "flash:c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.123-11.T8.bin"

Cisco 2821 (revision 53.51) with 249856K/12288K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FHK0848F28R

2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

72 Serial interfaces

3 Channelized T1/PRI ports

6 Voice FXO interfaces

DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.

62592K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)