[cisco-voip] two clusters - same gateway sanity check

Erick Wellnitz ewellnitzvoip at gmail.com
Wed May 16 16:30:46 EDT 2012

Okay...I've been thinking (it happens once in a while) over some things and
wanted to do a sanity check.

1. Instead of using H323 to a gaateway has anyone had success using sip?
 Would this require the use of MTP?  How would this impact SRST?  I know
MGCP would be ideal but then we lose our ability to monitor PRI traffic
until I can justify dishing out the cash for Cisco's UC management suite.
 Will SIP allow us to receive calling name from the PSTN in a  similar
fashion as h323?  In my viery vivid imagination this should jsut be a
simple SIP trunk from CM to the GW.

2. If I use h323 to/from the old CM cluster would I feasibly be able to use
SIP from the new cluster simultaneously then move inbound over to SIP at a
later date?

Initial Outbound Scenario:

CM Cluster 1 ----->h323---

                                      --->39XX Gateway----->PRI

CM Cluster 2 ------>SIP----

Initial Inbound Scenario:

CM Cluster 1 <-----h323<------39XX Gateway <----PRI

CM Cluster 2

My main goal is to be able to completely test the new cluster without
impacting end users at all.   I could do the same scenario with h323 but
I'd rather use SIP because it would make things very easy as we migrate to
SIP trunking for PSTN access.  All I have to do then is point the same SIP
trunk to a CUBE instead of messing with call routing on the CM.