[cisco-voip] DTMF SIP to Verizon, wrong payload type...

Jonathan Charles jonvoip at gmail.com
Thu May 17 13:01:06 EDT 2012

We have a SIP trunk to Verizon, Long Distance, Local and international work
fine, however, for toll free calls, DTMF does not function.

We are set to send RTP-NTE, but Verizon is saying that we are sending this:

a=rtpmap:101 X-NSE/8000

And it should be:

telephone-event/8000

And that is why it is failing.

What configuration change can we do to force it to send the right DTMF
method?

This is on a Cisco 3825 CUBE running 12.2.20.T4 (per Verizon's request),
there is a software MTP and Transcoder on the router (both in use)...
Verizon says it is not their problem and closed their ticket.

Relevant SIP Config:

!
voice call send-alert
voice rtp send-recv
!
voice service voip
 allow-connections h323 to h323
 allow-connections h323 to sip
 allow-connections sip to h323
 allow-connections sip to sip
 no supplementary-service sip refer
 redirect ip2ip
 h323
  h225 display-ie ccm-compatible
 modem passthrough nse payload-type 101 codec g711ulaw
 sip
  bind media source-interface MFR1
  early-offer forced
  midcall-signaling passthru
!
!

dial-peer voice 800 voip
 description OUTBOUND Voice SIP calls to VzB
 destination-pattern 1800[2-9]......
 voice-class sip dtmf-relay force rtp-nte
 session protocol sipv2
 session target sip-server
 incoming called-number .
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte
 codec g711ulaw
 no vad

!
sip-ua
 retry invite 2
 retry bye 2
 retry cancel 2
 registrar dns:verizonsipgateway expires 3600
 sip-server dns:verizonsipgateway:5071
 g729-annexb override
!

Jonathan