[cisco-voip] 9.3.1 , TVS, and IPv6

Adam Pawlowski ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Mon Nov 5 10:37:58 EST 2012

Stephen,

     Removing the ITL file from the phone does seem to allow it to grab a
new one, since it doesn't need to verify it. When the phone is booting up,
it lists, from a file on its flash, that it has no TVS servers, until it has
read the configuration file and established the CM nodes from that device
pool. TVS is running on all hosts in the cluster, including the TFTP, which
it seems to want to fall back to, to verify its configuration and ITL
initially. For whatever reason it insists on using the TFTP, yet, it wants
to connect via IPv6 which just can't work and doesn't. It's placed me into a
situation where I want to turn off V6 but, have to do so in the phone's
config, and can't change the phone's config until I turn off V6 (or erase
the ITL).

     I will inspect the ITL on the phone again to see what's going on - the
nodes should all be listed but the ITLs hash has changed. I'd love to
understand just what is going on with this. As we were talking earlier about
here, the license documentation for the 8 upgrades should have come with a
singing telegram or at least a stack of bright red paper drawing our
attention to this feature. There's a lot that's new in the UCM and it seems
easy to get underwater on the everything that comes up, but this just seems
too easy to run afoul of bugs or problems which can hose over your cluster.
If we have to erase, we have to erase, but, I don't want to get into the
habit of planning to or having to erase security certificates if there's a
way to correct the issue.

Thanks much though for your time and reply

Adam