[cisco-voip] alert when PRI goes down

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Fri Nov 30 09:16:55 EST 2012

Here's a few sample EEM scripts:

Notice that EEM is watching for specific syslog messages

-           for the T1 controller

-          for a Serial Interface changing state

-          for EIGRP creating/dropping ajacencies

I usually do an applet for down and up, or recovery and failure..

That way you know when something was brief...

I'm running 12.3 and 12.4 code on these guys... older stuff, so EEM
should be available to you.

You may have to enable some stuff under SNMP traps to start seeing it in
buffered logfiles on the routers for EEM to catch it.

Start with just enabling the SNMP in local logging, watch for the
messages you want to trigger an EEM on, and go from there.

event manager applet T1Control_0-0-0_Down

event syslog pattern "%CONTROLLER-5-UPDOWN: Controller T1 0/0/0, changed
state to down"

action email mail server "my-mailservers-ip-addr" to
"voip-alerts at yourdomain.com" from
"MyVoiceGateway-C2821-VOIPRtr at yourdomain.com" subject "T1 controller
0/0/0 on C2821 10.53.2.5 is DOWN " body "The T1 controller 0/0/0 has
gone down on 10.53.2.5"

event manager applet T1Control_0-0-0_Up

event syslog pattern "%CONTROLLER-5-UPDOWN: Controller T1 0/0/0, changed
state to up"

action email mail server "my-mailservers-ip-addr" to
"voip-alerts at yourdomain.com" from
"MyVoiceGateway-C2821-VOIPRtr at yourdomain.com" subject "T1 controller
0/0/0 on C2821 10.53.2.5 is BACK UP " body "The T1 controller 0/0/0 is
up up on 10.53.2.5"

event manager applet RemoteSite-EIGRP-up

event syslog pattern "%DUAL-5-NBRNetworkCoreANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 12:
Neighbor 10.25.43.5 (Serial0/3/0) is up: new adjacency"

action email mail server "your-mailserver-addr" to
"netalerts at yourdomain.com" from "NetworkCore_MSPRtr at yourdomain.com"
subject "EIGRP adjacency created between NetworkCore and RemoteSite"
body "The EIGRP adjacency between NetworkCore and RemoteSite has been
created"

event manager applet MySite-Serial010-down

event syslog pattern "%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0/1/0,
NetworkCoreanged state to down"

action email mail server "your-mailserver-addr" to
"netalerts at yourdomain.com,a-user at yourdomain.com" from
"NetworkCore_MSPRtr at yourdomain.com" subject "Interface Serial0/1/0,
NetworkCoreanged state to down - MY SITE T1 DOWN" body "Ser0/1/0 --  MY
SITE down"

Tim Reimers

Systems Analyst II

Information Technology Services

City of Asheville

70 Court Plaza

Asheville, NC 28801

Direct phone - 828-259-5512

IT Services main front desk - 828-259-5510

treimers at ashevillenc.gov <mailto:timreimers at ashevillenc.gov>