[cisco-voip] setting the ARP cache timeout for phones using DHCP option

Amanda Lalli-Cafini alalli at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 8 17:41:36 EDT 2012

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for that.

We do not have any 9971 phones in this setup.

Most are 7941 and 7942 models.  There are a few 7961 phones and a few 9951
phones.

The problem I am trying to solve is that some of the 7942 phones just appear
to drop off of the network from time to time.

When this occurs, I can not ping the phone even from its own default
gateway, yet it is still registered to CUCM and can make/receive calls.

I however, get one way audio from that phone when the problem occurs.

We are thinking that their arp cache (something small like 16) is getting
full and wanted to be able to flush that out every five minutes with the
dhcp option.

Is there a way to set the ARP cache timeout from within Call Manager itself
by any chance?

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Amanda