[cisco-voip] *** Help On Understanding MTP *** Query HQ & Site B Kevin I Appreciate you are probably Busy

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Tue Oct 9 12:46:44 EDT 2012

You don't explicitly "enable" MTPs on a trunk or gateway, you "require" them.  You provide access to an MTP via MRGL config.  Setting the box for "MTP Required" means that an MTP is always invoked, regardless of whether it is needed or not.   There are times when the allocation for a required MTP fails, and by default CUCM will allow the call to proceed as long as media negotiation, etc allows.  If the MTP is required to anchor media for a firewall you could end up with one/no way audio in this scenario.  The other thing that will happen is supplementary services will not be allowed for the call.  This means no hold, transfer, conference, etc.

-Ryan