[cisco-voip] CUCM on 3rd party hardware (CPU question)

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Mon Apr 1 10:48:12 EDT 2013

You can also post in the collab user group.  I believe the PM that owns this bit of policy is active there and would likely be able to give you a specific reason why they came up with the speed they did for that processor.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6884/products_tech_note09186a0080bf23f5.shtml is also an appropriate read here.  You are solidly in the “If it works, is it allowed by the vendor’s support policy rules?” category, and need to be very aware of the support implications that come with it.

You may be perfectly fine, but in the event you have any issues you need to be aware of what's going to happen.  This is a simple risk analysis, and you should be comfortable with whatever decision you make now (and document it in case you have to justify it at a later date).   If you do proceed with this cpu at least make a point to under-utilize your servers.

As an aside the 1000-user OVA is only for BE6K (and the TRCs it is based off + standalone ELM).  You can't and shouldn't use it outside of those situations.

Finally, don't rely on CPU reservations for justifying how much cpu a UC app may need.  We don't allow CPU oversubscription for a reason (so the app can get the full core if need be), and any reservation an app may or may not set is for minimum processing power.  Things don't tend to fall apart in an idle server.  Where the processing really counts is under heavy load, which is most commonly associated with some other unexpected event (failover, call loop, etc).  That isn't the time when you want to start seeing process cores because the system can't keep up with the incoming rate of signals.  Those types of cascading failures are generally when exec's start calling each other, and everyone starts talking about root cause, design assurance, etc.

-Ryan