[cisco-voip] high I/O Wait on one core

Tom Piscitell (tpiscite) tpiscite at cisco.com
Fri Apr 5 10:02:39 EDT 2013

Erick,

You can use the FIOR utility from the CLI to identify which processes are writing to the disk.

admin:utils fior
      utils fior disable
      utils fior enable
      utils fior list
      utils fior start
      utils fior status
      utils fior stop
      utils fior top

Here is a typical use case:

1. Enable the FIOR utility before/during a time of High IO Wait
	admin:utils fior enable
	File I/O Statistics has been enabled.
	admin:utils fior start
	Enabling fiostats : ok
	File I/O Statistics has been started.

2. Wait a couple minutes. FIOR will poll for data every 5 seconds I believe. Then use utils fior top to see whats hitting the CPU the hardest:

admin:utils fior top ?
Syntax:
utils fior top n sort_by [start=date-time] [stop=date-time]

         n:            number of processes
         sort_by:      read, write, read-rate, write-rate
         date-time:    of the form %H:%M, %H:%M:%S
                                   %a,%H:%M, %a,%H:%M:%S
                                   %Y-%m-%d,%H:%M, %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
Example:
admin:utils fior top 10 write start=2010-04-20 10:00:00 stop=2010-04-20 10:30:00

This of course won't tell you *why* a process is hitting the disk, but it will at least show you who has the most read/writes. To answer the why question you would need to look at traces for the offending process/service.

HTH,
-Tom