[cisco-voip] VG202 vs ATA187

Matthew Ballard mballard at otis.edu
Fri Apr 19 13:12:45 EDT 2013

The VG202 runs IOS, which means it can do pretty much anything any other IOS based voice gateway can do (taking into account that it only has the two voice ports).

The ATA 187 is more of a client device.  I know the 186 was much more limited it's fax support (for example it didn't do standards based T.38).  I don't know how the 187 does in comparison, but I found the 186 to be very unreliable in terms of doing faxes.

Basically the VG202 gives you more power and control over configuration, and is more capable, but the ATA 187 is easier to setup, but (at least to me) an unknown level of handling of fax.

Matthew Ballard
Network Manager
Otis College of Art and Design
mballard at otis.edu