[cisco-voip] Weird MTP issues

Mike Lydick mike.lydick at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 18:21:02 EDT 2013

You left out a few details of the call flow? I thought I would add some
details for the group

PSTN(Internet SIP Trunk)->CUBE->CUCMBE->AA->PSTN(Your SIP Provider)

>From the debug we took, your provider was sending back Cause Code 41
(Temporary Network Failure) with no MTP. However the call flow works if you
add MTP.

This is most likely is because the MTP will terminate the outbound call leg
from an SIP call signalling perspective with the registration address of
the MTP. This address is most likely trusted by your carrier and they
accept the call.

When you remove the MTP, the originating IP Address is passed along to your
carrier. Most carriers use the invite and re-invite information (IP
addressing in the URI) to prevent toll fraud. Hence why the use of the MTP
allows the call to work.

We tried Address-hiding with no change.

We tried sip profiles and modifying the SIP invite header with some success
but you reported that the codec was not correct on the successful call and
the quality was poor.

This does not have bearing on the use of MTP as you were using a software
MTP on successful calls. This resource will allow for terminating call
legs, dtmf mismatch or translation, packetization mismatch or translation
but not codec translation. Packet drop is a QOS issue and should look to
correcting the dial-peer and/or CUCM to get the call back to a G729r8 call
and the issue may improve but we did not look over the QOS configurations
so there maybe some room for improvement.

I think you are close to resolution. Either provide a software (IOS) mtp
for the call volume we discussed  or if you the the SIP profiles are
working just should look to getting calls back to g729r8 and possible
review the QoS policy end-to-end.

Mike

Best Regards,

Mike Lydick