[cisco-voip] NFAS and Dial-Peers

Tim Franklin tim at tripplehelix.net
Tue Aug 20 09:55:07 EDT 2013

So I’ve got an NFAS setup in my lab and would like to just confirm
something around dial-peers. According to the cisco documentation I
should be creating a dial-peer referencing the port:D. However the
router will not let me do that.

Documentation example:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/isdn/configuration/guide/vi_nfas_dch_bkup.pdf
The following example shows configuration of a POTS dial peer with the
primary controller of an NFAS
group:
dial-peer voice 35 pots
incoming called-number 45...
destination-pattern 35...
direct-inward-dial
port 1/0/0:D
prefix 35

My configuration is as follows:
card type t1 0 0
card type t1 0 1
!
network-clock-participate wic 0
network-clock-participate wic 1
network-clock-select 1 T1 0/0/0
network-clock-select 2 T1 0/1/0
!
controller T1 0/0/0
cablelength long 0db
pri-group timeslots 1-24 nfas_d primary nfas_int 0 nfas_group 0
!
controller T1 0/1/0
cablelength long 0db
pri-group timeslots 1-24 nfas_d backup nfas_int 1 nfas_group 0
!
voice-port 0/0/0:23
!
voice-port 0/1/0:23
!
interface Serial0/0/0:23
no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
isdn switch-type primary-ni
isdn incoming-voice voice
no cdp enable

TL;DR
So the question is, can I just create a dial-peer pointed to 0/0/0:23
which is my primary D channel in the NFAS group and it will distribute
the calls across all members?
Example:
dial-peer voice 100 pots
destination-pattern 9T