[cisco-voip] P2V CUCM 8.5.1

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Thu Feb 28 09:40:18 EST 2013

Yes, you should be all set with respect to your certificates getting backed up.

With respect to the sub right now your phones have ITL files that include certificates to trust the TFTP server they got the ITL file from, one CAPF cert, and TVS on every node in the cluster.   Any time you do a fresh install of a server it gets new certificates, which immediately makes that server untrusted by phones until they get a new ITL/CTL file that includes info for that new node.

If your publisher is used for TFTP then as long as the phones continue to trust it then they will take any updated ITL file and trust the sub(s) just fine.  It is far easier to just put the sub into the cluster before you do the restore so you don't change certs, lose MOH files, etc.

Regarding that existing sub, you're going to want to isolate the VMs from the production network until they are restored anyway (you don't want phones talking to the new pub before it's restore) so it should be able to stay active with  no issues.  In fact if you go that route you can take your time building the vm cluster, make sure to get all the right locales and phone loads reinstalled, then do the backup/restore/switch in one maintenance window.

-Ryan

On Feb 28, 2013, at 4:50 AM, Michael Hamann <mail at mhamann.net> wrote:

Hello Ryan,

thank you for your hint! To correct myself we use CUCM Version 8.5.1.14900-5 at the moment. Am I right that the bug you mentioned is fixed in this version and that our DRS backup should include the certificates ?

> 2. You need to install the sub in VM before you do the DRS restore or its certificates will not be restored and phones won't trust it.

Our plan is to shut down one of the subs and have the last sub still running (to stay in production).  If we have the right certificates restored on the publisher is this still a problem ?

Michael