[cisco-voip] CUCM MTP and g729

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:08:54 EST 2013

Hey Wes,

The packet capture was done on the CUCM itself via CLI command: "utils
network capture".  Also, I filtered the capture to traffic only coming from
the VG224, which is why you do not see any other streams.  It was, however,
going to our SBC.  So the call flow was: Analog Phone > VG224 > CUCM (MTP)
> SBC > PSTN.

The negotiated CODEC was in fact g729, and both sides support it.  The MGCP
SDP shows g729 and the SBC sends back g729 in the SIP SDP.  The only thing
that is different in caps is DTMF.  MGCP was trying 100 while SBC wanted to
do 101.

As for the garble: I wasn't experiencing any voice quality issues that I
could hear, but I was experiencing double DTMF going out to the PSTN.  Not
sure if an artifact of the MTP, or simply a misonconfiguration on the
VG224's MGCP package.  Like I said it's the fm package I was missing that
ultimately fixed the issue.  The MTP is no longer used, and the double DTMF
is gone. I didn't find very much info on what the fm packages does, only
that it fixes DTMF and Faxing issues when communicating with a SIP device.

Thanks for the late Friday afternoon reply Wes.