[cisco-voip] CUCM MTP and g729

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Fri Jan 11 15:48:00 EST 2013

Interesting observations.

I am not aware of any changes around CM's software MTP only doing G.711.

The packet capture shows RTP coming into(?) to the MTP. I do not see any sign of anything egressing the MTP.

ccm has internal logic that attempts to connect RTP streams even if codec negotiation fails. This is controlled by a service parameter. You may be seeing an artifact of this behavior where no codec was common but the streams attempted to setup anyway.  Streaming codecs to the MTP that it does not support typically results in garble or silence on the egress leg.

/wes