[cisco-voip] Upgrade from 8.6 to 9.1 Licensing

Erick Wellnitz ewellnitzvoip at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 11:19:55 EDT 2013

>From what I understand, licensing has been CUWL/UCL for quite some time.
Cisco would just issue you PAKs for a per-determined number of DLUs along
with PAKs for the other product licenses.

The problem this posed is that DLUs could be allocated any way one desired
and almost nobody assigned the owner ID to devices or primary device ID for
things like CIPC.

What happens when you upgrade to 9.x is that the ELM determines licensing
based on a couple of things.
1. What you currently have configured based on owner ID and primary device
IDs.
2. Leftover DLUs can be allocated into CUWL standard, pro, etc.

I think there is more to it so any other insight would be great.