[cisco-voip] MGCP PRI Issue

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Fri Mar 8 12:02:16 EST 2013

It's a stretch, but yes, sort of.

With MGCP backhaul the q.921 frames are terminated on the router and q.931 frames are received at the router and back hauled to CUCM.

For that to work the router must successfully download config from CUCM to get the configured ISDN protocol. Is TFTP download from CUCM to router working? Is that config applied successfully? "debug ccm-manager" or see the Multiservice debug lookup tool.

After that the serial interface has to come up an q.921 has to start coming up. At that point router will initiate a TCP session to CUCM and send a DL_Estab_req message. If that session fails to come up for any reason then registration will never really happen.

MGCP depends on much communication with CUCM. Generally it helps with problem isolation to try to terminate the PRI just on the router. Skip the MGCP config and use a basic h.323 setup. If the d-ch and PRI still do not come up then you have a signaling problem between the carrier and your router. Also, with this setup you can change the ISDN switch type directly on the router in global config or under the specific interface.

-wes