[cisco-voip] Best Practice for UC deployments

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Mar 19 18:03:50 EDT 2013

I think the key thing here is to understand the impact on the telephone system if DNS services go away and to plan accordingly. DNS is already providing a critical component of the campus IT service infrastructure, but tying a DNS failure to a phone system failure likely wont compute on many levels. If there aren't several layers if redundancy built in to your DNS solution, this may be the time/reason to suggest it. Minimally, the management team that owns the service(s) must be aware if the new dependency. This is most important when planning extended outages in the DNS service for patching/upgrades/hardware maintenance.

That being said, still not 100% sure on exactly how a DNS outage will affect service.

We enabled it because of our hope to implement SIP technologies soon which rely heavily on DNS. However, we were sure to continue using IP addresses where possible, e.g. server names.

Lelio

Sent from my iPhone...

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"