[cisco-voip] Best Practice for UC deployments

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 09:51:03 EDT 2013

The Cisco Voice products have come along way in the last few years and can
do some pretty amazing things. I would think something as basic as DNS
would be trivial for these products.

Perhaps the best practice to remove the DNS dependency is a bit dated.  But
how are we ever going to know how well it performs at large scale and under
heavy load if everyone is adhering to the best practice?  If the product
officially supports it, and Cisco will support your solution, then I say
use it.

On the flip side, this wouldn't be the first documented best practice item
that has gone untouched for years, in which customers are going against the
grain.

E.g.,  In UCCX the default maximum number of executed steps is 1,000, and
we are told to never touch this value.  However, in my experience, this
number is increased in production environments quite often, and thus the
best practice is intentionally ignored.

"The customer should not change the “max number of executed steps”
parameter unless instructed by TAC."
*Source: UCCX 9.0(1) Best
Practices<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_9_0/reference/guide/UCCX_Best_Practices.pdf>
*