[cisco-voip] Best Practice for UC deployments

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Fri Mar 22 15:20:21 EDT 2013

It becomes non-trivial to track all features that do (not) require DNS. for interesting issues maintaining /etc/hosts take a look at :
CSCsq66400    clm rewrites all hosts file entries on subscriber at every reboot

With the prevalence of SIP and heterogenous environments DNS is evolving from optional to mandatory.

-wes

On Mar 22, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Roger Wiklund <roger.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Cisco Voice products have come along way in the last few years and can
> do some pretty amazing things. I would think something as basic as DNS would
> be trivial for these products.
>
> Perhaps the best practice to remove the DNS dependency is a bit dated.  But
> how are we ever going to know how well it performs at large scale and under
> heavy load if everyone is adhering to the best practice?  If the product
> officially supports it, and Cisco will support your solution, then I say use
> it.

I've been following the perhaps outdated "skip DNS if possible"
recommendation. It's clear with version 9 that has changed.

The worst part is when you have existing systems without DNS and
basically all newer installations requires DNS, for example Exchange
integration with CUPS.
Not to mention UCCX 9 which I think you can't even install without DNS.

Cisco says that you cannot mix non-DNS with DNS installations, it has
to be all DNS or no DNS.

I wish Cisco would allow me to modify the /etc/hosts, that way one
could keep using IPs and still use DNS names when necessary.