[cisco-voip] ELM v9.0 reboots on drive failure

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Wed Oct 16 15:57:08 EDT 2013

I had an interesting scenario I thought I'd share. I installed ELM v9.0 on an old IPCCx box (7845H equiv HP) I had laying around. Although the specs themselves are not on any v9.0 supported document list, the ELM software still installed (meaning the software thinks the platform is supported I gather).

Anyways, I walked by the machine, noticed a red light on one of the drives. Typically, in this scenario, we shut the machine down, pull the drive, go into interim recovery mode (F2,F1), boot normally, then insert a new drive (or the old one if we suspect it really works).

When I pulled up the console, I noticed it was already in booting stage, which was weird. So we powered down, pulled the drive, and rebooted. There was not F2,F1 option, and after bootup process, the system then said it could not continue because of drive issues and that it would reboot. I suspect it's been in this reboot cycle for a while. We shut it down again, and went into the drive array configuration and started the rebuild process.

It seems very odd that the system would go into a reboot cycle because of a failed drive.

Anyone seen anything like this? Is it a bug? Hopefully fixed with the latest version?

Lelio

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Data Centre and Communications Facilities
University of Guelph

519‐824‐4120 Ext 56354
lelio at uoguelph.ca
www.uoguelph.ca/ccs