[cisco-voip] Tools to analyze call-quality issues after-the-fact?

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 16:30:51 EDT 2013

Since we're in the early stages of a SIP deployment, I've had a
sniffer running on the outside of my firewall capturing packets.
During a long duration call I realized that the audio issues I was
hearing were probably being captured in the sniffer; hitting ? ? on my
phone showed a non-periodic "hiccup" which incremented the error count
by 7 each time and resulted in a burst of static.

Wireshark seems to crash a lot in the current 1.10.1 version.

In wireshark, I can import the PCAP and use the "Telephony" option and
it shows the calls that were captured. If I select my call, then go
into the player, I can play the stream and hear the glitch. But
Wireshark doesn't make it easy to analyze the calls; I keep getting
crashes as it follows the RTP streams. :(

Any other tools that will allow me to import a PCAP and analyze my
streams? The bad call has a non-zero percentage of out of order
packets.

Thanks.