[cisco-voip] QoS and network guys

Erick Wellnitz ewellnitzvoip at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 12:56:25 EDT 2013

That's almost accurate.

They have followed the stated business need for QoS to a point.  WAN QoS is
great.  They did a bang up job on that.  The problem is they are resisting
LAN/L2 QoS  for various reasons and are trying to claim it isn't needed at
that level.  The resistance I see is always QoS at L2.  I understand the
fear of QoS at L2 as it has taken me many years to become comfortable with
it.

Is this a misunderstanding that throwing bandwidth at voice eliminates the
need for priorizing voice traffic?  I'm trying to understand why there is
resistance for end to end QoS by a fair amount of network engineers (CCIEs
included) and a good strategy for illustrating to them why it is
important.  I want to convince by educating, not browbeating.

Are there any good tools available to check hop by hop what is happening
with QoS?