[cisco-voip] QoS and network guys

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Sep 16 15:33:03 EDT 2013

Hi,

>    It's more about protecting voice traffic from unforseen traffic spikes
>    because we have a very large amounts of data transfer.

true - though I've tested VoIP across a 3:1 contended 1G pipe and whilst there
was an interesting delay to the call (notable because both handsets were in the same
room rather than other end of country) there was no jitter...so the call was fine.
no bubbling, gurgling, squeaks etc etc - I guess it depends on what TYPE of transfer
is going on. I'm sure some nice 'very efficient' P2P protocol would do more damage
than pure HTTP/FTP which will do its nice window scaling and fallback.

>    It isn't like I'm asking the guys to come up with something new and
>    untested.  I'm asking them to implement what we already have in Europe and
>    Asia.

well then. no excuse :-)

alan