[cisco-voip] Vertical Service Codes & Route Patterns

Walt Moody moody at arizona.edu
Tue Sep 17 12:36:50 EDT 2013

Is it possible to use NANPA Vertical Service Codes in route patterns
without having to create a new route pattern for each code used?

For example, if I want to call an "off-net" number in Area Code 928,
i.e. 9285551234, I dial those 10 digits.  Those 10 digits will hit the
route pattern 928555XXXX and a route list that will get the call to a
gateway in the proper city.

Now for the NANPA VSC part:

If I don't want to send my directory number to that particular number, I
would like to use VSC *67 before the 10-digit number I'm dialing. That's
easy enough to do if I create a route pattern *67.928555XXXX and set
Calling Line ID Presentation and Calling Name Presentation to "Restricted."

Now, add the person whose Calling Line ID is always restricted and wants
to allow his number to display;  Easy enough again.  I just add the
route pattern *82.928555XXXX with Calling Line ID Presentation and
Calling Name Presentation set to "Allowed."

In this example, I have had to create three route patterns to reach one
destination.  Multiply that by the number of route patterns it takes to
reach any phone in any of our remote locations in dozens of rate centers
in five Area Codes, and suddenly I'm looking at creating and maintaining
hundreds of route patterns.

I'd like to have one "high level" translation and/or route pattern for
each NANPA VSC I want to use.  The VSC pattern would link to the route
pattern and the call would be sent to the proper gateway.  Is this possible?

Thanks.

-walt