[cisco-voip] Scripting ATM Interface Resets

chris tknchris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 09:56:28 EDT 2013

Hello,

I have couple sites where the connectivity is legacy ADSL, and once in a
while we have a situation where something happens on the telco network and
all our analogs go to shit but the interface doesnt actually go down but
rather just starts incrementing the error count like crazy. In these
situations usually a physical disconnect/reconnect of the line or a
restarted of the router clears it and the ADSL syncs back up clean.

This is sometimes tough not always having someone local who can do the
manual reset and of course I'd prefer a more automated solution. In this
scenario the cost of a second out of band connection is not really
practical either.

I was thinking that maybe I could do this with an IP SLA and/or EEM script
and do something like when IP SLA fails I could trigger a shut/no shut on
the physical ATM int to force the DSL to drop and then resync.

Has anyone ever done anything like this, and particularly with ADSL? I am
just looking for insight from people who either have tried this, are
running this or something like it and what their experiences were.

Thanks
chris