[cisco-voip] Question about enabling DNS on CUCM cluster(s)

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 08:00:09 EDT 2014

Good morning!

Was hoping someone with a little more experience on the jabber/collab edge
side could point me in the right direction here.

I have 2 CUCM clusters that I am researching configuring jabber and/or
collab edge for. Up till now I've never had a need for DNS resolution on
the either. One of them has been operational since version 3 dot something
and back then it seemed the recommendation to stay away from DNS in general
on CUCM unless there was a good reason otherwise.

I see there are just a few commands to enable it and setup servers etc -
are there any gotchas with database replication or security that I need to
be aware of? I don't plan on changing the hostname of the servers
themselves or their IP addresses.

The old cluster has CTLs/USB tokens. The "slightly" newer cluster is just
running in security-by-default mode. Both clusters are @ version 9.1.

My research thus far seems to say turning DNS up on earlier versions of
CUCM required rebuilds but seems to not be the case now, but I haven't
turned up anything in the official docs. I have a TAC case open to ask
about it but I'm still at the explain DNS and what my business case is
stage ;)

Appreciate any tips!

Thanks,
Ed