[cisco-voip] Anyone Using Cisco 8945 Handsets?

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Wed Dec 3 11:47:20 EST 2014

On 12/3/2014 10:17 AM, Gary Parker wrote:
> I was recently asked to procure a Cisco handset with bluetooth
> capability for a user with impaired hearing who uses bluetooth capable
> hearing aids. I was under the impression that high-end 9951 and 9971
> units were the only handsets with this functionality, but it appears
> the much cheaper 8945 also features bluetooth.
>
> I have to say I'm suspicious of the relatively low price of the 8945
> looking at its specs (colour screen, camera, GigE) so I'm interested
> to hear opinions from anyone with experience of deploying and using
> these devices.

If you're open to a newer model, I'd look at the 8851 (list price is the
same as the 8945).  We've got a couple 8861s we're evaluating right now,
and the Bluetooth proximity stuff on them is pretty slick.  I haven't
used a Bluetooth headset with mine yet, but it is fully supported on
them.  The only caveat with them is the same as you'd have on the 99XX
models, they are SIP only phones like all the 8800 line so the configs
for them are slightly different if you're used to all SCCP phones.
(Differences on the 8851/8861 are the second USB port for charging a
device, and the support for 3 expansion modules instead of 2 on the
8851, the 8811/8841 models do not have Bluetooth.)

Only other complaint I have with most of the newer models is the
handsets aren't able to be held between your head and shoulder like the
older 7900 handsets can due to the slimline design without as much curve
as the older models.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com