[cisco-voip] unexpected behaviour with "Prepare Cluster for Rollback" and migrating phones between v9 and v7 cluster

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Wed Feb 19 16:37:35 EST 2014

OK, now I am officially confused. ;)

I was under the impression that once a phone has registered to a v9 cluster, it downloads an ITL trust list/file which prevents it from registering to a v7 cluster. To help with this, the "Prepare Cluster for Rollback" enterprise parameter was introduced.

Here's what I did:

    * upgraded offline cluster (all servers had same hostname and IP address)
    * set the "Prepare Cluster for Rollback" parameter to True and clicked Save (because there were no phones registered, I did not "Apply Changes")
    * plugged phones into the offline network
    * phones registered to the new offline v9 cluster
    * checked phone security pages - they showed ITL files listed (that long string of numbers)
    * thinking it was the "Apply Changes" that missed something, I clicked that
    * phones restarted, but still showed an ITL file
    * brought a phone back to the live network, phone registered to the v7 cluster (still has an ITL file listed)
    * on offline cluster, change the "Prepare Cluster for Rollback" to False, clicked Save, clicked Apply Changes (phones restarted, and showed an ITL file)
    * I picked up one of the phones from the offline network (now in rollback=false mode) and brought it to the live network. It registered to the v7 cluster.

So what I see are a few things confusing me:

    * Why do phones still have ITL files if the cluster is in rollback mode. This is not a big deal, but I'd like to be able to tell from the phone when it's registered with the "Prepare Cluster for Rollback" set to TRUE.
    * Why does a phone that registers to a v7 cluster still have it's ITL file set?
    * Why (and this is the one that gets me) does a phone that was on v9 with "Prepare Cluster for Rollback" set to FALSE successfully register to the v7 cluster?

Is the ITL trust list a simple hash of the IP addresses and host names of the cluster members? If I don't change anything, things will continue to work?

Is something wrong with my logic and steps? I was testing with a 7942 and a 7962.

Lelio

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure