[cisco-voip] UCS C series audio issues

Daniel Pagan dpagan at fidelus.com
Thu Feb 20 17:12:06 EST 2014

I've worked an issue very similar to this on a UCS C series server. Some background... the UCS server hosted two CUCM nodes and a CUC subscriber. The issue was first reported as conference audio sounding "garbled". Troubleshooting the issue for a few minutes revealed that we could recreate the issue on both CUCM nodes through use of CFB and MOH resources, and on Unity Connection with standard vm playback via TUI but recordings relayed via SMTP were fine. Additional troubleshooting confirmed network issues were not the cause. Resolving the issue came down to two action items:

1-      Update the NIC drivers through root access in ESXi.

We found the NIC drivers installed during the build were incompatible with the version of ESXi running on the UCS server.

To find your current driver version via ESXi CLI, use the output from esxcfg-nics -l combined with ethtool -i:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1027206

We used the tool below to determine the exact driver version required based on server model, NIC adapter model, etc.

http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/ucs/interoperability/matrix/matrix.html

2-      Update vm tools through vSphere

The vm tools weren't up-to-date in this customer's environment. I highly doubt this was the root cause but it doesn't hurt to bring a customer's environment to meeting best practices :)

We also updated the CIMC and BIOS during our maintenance window for good measure. The problem was reproducible nearly 100% of the time prior to updating NIC drivers and was immediately resolved post maintenance window. I'm not sure if this is the same issue you're facing but the interoperability tool might be worth looking into.

Hope this helps.

- Dan