[cisco-voip] Migrate Unity Connection 8.5 Cluster to VMware-then upgrade to 9.1

Matthew Ballard mballard at otis.edu
Mon Feb 24 18:13:21 EST 2014

AFAIK physical MAC is still used in all scenarios when deploying on physical (vs virtual) hardware, certainly in the 8.x train (and I believe the 9.x train, although things change when you move to ELM which I can't speak to).

I'm thinking the scenario you read about would be:

1.       DRS backup publisher.

2.       Take down publisher and configure network to not allow devices to talk to publisher (there may be a time after taking down the publisher and bringing up the new one that devices may try to communicate with the new one causing problems).

3.       Install/bring up new publisher on virtual.

4.       Restore publish.

5.       Link new publisher with existing subscriber and allow them to sync (which is probably where the reference you found previously comes into play).

6.       Remove prior traffic restrictions and make sure things are working on the new publisher.

7.       Repeat process with subscriber (I can't speak as to whether DRS would be required or note for the subscriber).

Hope that helps/makes sense.

Note I not speaking from experience with this type of situation, but what I believe to be a situation that should work/makes sense based on your comments.

I get the issues with hardware, I ended up doing the shadow environment I described due to a lack of hardware, but fortunately since I run the network here, I didn't need approval to do what I did. :)

Matthew Ballard
Network Manager
Otis College of Art and Design
mballard at otis.edu<mailto:mballard at otis.edu>