[cisco-voip] CM 8.6 to 9.1

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Mon Jan 20 13:42:23 EST 2014

On 1/20/2014 9:22 AM, Stephen Welsh wrote:
> Hi Lelio,
>
> I believe the provisioning improvement you are referring too is the
> ability for end users to 'self-provision'. My understanding it enables
> end users to setup a fresh phone on their desk as part of an initial
> deployment etc. basically a replacement for TAPS. They login to their
> phone using their UCM User details (aka AD user if integrated) and a
> pre-loaded profile is deployed to the phone.
>
> ASAIK it's a phone firmware level feature that as long as the phone is
> on the desired software level it uses the new User Data Service (UDS)
> API to authenticate and configure the device.
>
> Personally I'm keen to see how this feature is implemented, i.e. will
> the user have to login twice if extension mobility is enabled ;)
>
> Kind Regards.
>
> Stephen Welsh

The provisioning improvement in 10.0 is a single-cluster version of
Cisco Prime Collaboration Provisioning.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6491/ps12363/data_sheet_c78-729645.html

We're still in the roll-out stages of the stand-alone product, and are
looking at it more for allowing remote IT people to be able to provision
and do MACD work on phones without having to have CUCM/UConn expertise.
Not sure what features are missing between the full-blown product and
the integrated one in 10.0 however.  One of the weekly Cisco Prime
Demo's covered it a few weeks ago. http://bit.ly/PrimeDemo  probably
would be a good place to attend and ask questions about it.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com