[cisco-voip] how to control default load (for factory reset) for phones

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Wed Jan 22 20:21:33 EST 2014

I've seen this with 7945/7965s as well, on both CUCM and CME's.  My
understanding is that the termXX.default.loads file is downloaded on a
factory reset or new phone, it installs that version, then once it
registers it downloads the firmware specified in the XML configuration
file for the phone.

I don't know of any workaround for this, as this seems to be the
expected behavior.  It does suck when you've got 20-30 phones on the far
end of a single T1 that need to be upgraded and they have to download
the files twice.

You can use this behavior to your advantage if you have a bunch of old
phones that require the bridge firmware, you use the bridge firmware for
the termXX.default.loads and then have your normal load set as the
default.  We've done this several times on some of our CMEs to keep from
having to manually upgrade phones to get them to upgrade to the 9.3.X
firmware we have as a standard.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com