[cisco-voip] Change Management VLAN on SLM248P

Jeffrey Girard jeffrey.girard at girardinc.com
Sat Jul 26 22:08:31 EDT 2014

Home Lab

I also posted this on the Cisco Support Forum for Small Business, but so far, no one has even read it

This should be a very simple and straightforward process, but for some reason, I am unable to make it work.

I factory reset a SLM248P

I have two laptops connected, one on port 1 and the other on port 48.  Both have fixed IP address in the 192.168.1.x/24 subnet.  On both laptops, I have continuous pings running to the 192.168.1.254 and to the other laptop IP address.

>From the laptop on port 1, I web to the switch and log in with admin/admin.

>From VLAN Management -> Create VLAN -> I create, add, and save VLAN 40.

>From VLAN Management -> Port Settings -> Select Port 48 and change the PVID to 40.  Click Save

At this point, the continuous pings running to and from the laptop connected to port 48, start failing.

>From VLAN Management -> Port to VLAN -> I select VLAN 40 from the drop down box, and then for Port 48, I select untagged and click Save.

>From Setup -> Network Settings -> Management VLAN -> select 40 from the drop down box and click save.

At this point, I lose connectivity from the laptop connected to Port 1 (as expected) but I do not get any connectivity from the laptop connected to port 48 (not expected).

Port 48 is an untagged access port on VLAN 40.  When the frames hit the switch, the switch sees them as untagged and adds the PVID of VLAN 40 to them.  The Management VLAN is now VLAN 40 and all devices are in the same subnet.

So, can anyone help me understand why Im unable to change the management VLAN?

Jeff

Dr. Jeffrey T. Girard (Jeff), PhD
Colonel, United States Army (Retired)
Senior Network Engineer / VoIP Engineer - WireMeHappy.com
reply to: jeffrey.girard at wiremehappy.com<mailto:jeffrey.girard at wiremehappy.com>
(607)835-0406 (home office)
(845)764-1661 (mobile)
(607)835-0458 (fax)