[cisco-voip] 69XX Unrecoverable Phantom Hold Issue

Gabriel Jackson gdjackso at oakland.edu
Tue Jun 3 10:44:11 EDT 2014

We are currently experiencing an issue on some Cisco 6945 phones which
results in devices showing a shared line as on-hold, yet no call is
actually present. We can't reproduce this issue on demand, but we have
noticed the following is true when it occurs:

1. The shared line often has high call volume and is shared by as many as
10 devices.
2. The phantom hold will often only affect a single device, resulting in
the phone being out of sync with its peers.
3. No amount of line-button/soft-button/hard-button presses seems to clear
the line of the phantom. Rebooting the phone will remove the phantom,
though.
4. Calls can be made from the afflicted line
5. To date, this has occurred on SIP6945.9-4-1-3 and SCCP6945.9-3-3-2-SR1
firmwares.

We have found similar bug reports on the Cisco website, but they either
apply to other phone series and/or were corrected by the 9.3.X code train.

Has anyone else run into anything similar? Thanks!

--
Gabriel Jackson
Network and Telecom Systems Engineer