[cisco-voip] PCD CUCM Migration Upgrades with UCCX

Justin Steinberg jsteinberg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 11:29:06 EST 2014

Anyone have any thoughts on using PCD to upgrade CUCM in environments with
UCCX ?

Assuming customer is running v8 CUCM & UCCX on MCS hardware and wants to
upgrade to 10.5.

PCD can take CUCM from v8 MCS direct to ESXi and 10.5.  But, UCCX isn't
supported for PCD migrations.

CUCM 10.5 isn't supported with UCCX v8 and likewise, UCCX 10.5 isn't
supported with CUCM v8.

So I was thinking of using the process below:

Maintenance Window 1
1) Virtualize UCCX v8 on ESXi

Maintenance Window 2
1) Install RU upgrade on UCCX to 10.5 on inactive partitions
2) PCD Upgrade/Migration CUCM to 10.5 (same IP/hostnames)
3) Once CUCM is complete, initiate switch-version on UCCX to 10.5.

Does anyone see any issues with temporarily having CUCM at 10.5 before the
switch-version begins on UCCX?    Does UCCX check the switch-version to see
if the CUCM is compatible?

I haven't found this documented anywhere yet, so I've stayed away from PCD
for the time being but curious if anyone has found a good way to handle PCD
in environments with UCCX.

Justin