[cisco-voip] Broadcast Hunt Group query

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 08:57:10 EST 2014

My gut feeling is that, since you have 4,000 phones, trying to do something
to the lot of them all at once will not be possible. You'd have a better
chance if you selected key phones in certain areas and used the speaker
phone. E.g., In a cubicle farm, 1 in 25 phones could be elected. Of course
this means you'd need a seating chart.

An ip overhead paging solution might be the ultimate solution, but I
realize you asked about phones.

Do you want to make the phones play a tone or do you want to have a human
voice speak?

The best option is probably going to avoid call signaling and instead
leverage the phones API. Possibly the play command or join multicast
command.

For either command, you might want to offload the authentication to a fast
web server that answers blindly with a "true."

The play command puts stress on your TFTP server and its max connections.

The join multicast command requires mroute on your network. This how single
wire informacast works. Have you used an ip multicast paging solution
before? Do you have one?